Whether you’re paying rent, saving for a vacation, or could just use extra cash, drive with Lyft. It’s a flexible way to earn and meet a new community — passengers and drivers alike.
Why Drive With Lyft?
Get Paid Instantly, Anytime
With Express Pay, you’ll cash out your earnings whenever you want.
Earn More With In-App Tips
Passengers are encouraged to tip in the app — and you keep the whole amount.
Enjoy Perks and Discounts
Save on fuel, maintenance, and more with Accelerate, our driver rewards program.
How to Become a Lyft Driver
Get started by filling out an online application. We’ll make sure you fit our (and your city’s) requirements, then let you know when you’re road-ready.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Pass our free, online DMV and background checks.
- Use an iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Meet your city’s vehicle age requirement
- Have at least four doors, not including jump doors.
- Offer five to eight seats, including the driver’s.
- Have a US driver’s license for at least one year.
- Provide proof of insurance and (in most cities) a car inspection.
- Submit a photo of yourself.
Most cities have local requirements, too. Select your location below for the details.
Regions We Serve
- Illinois | Chicago
- Louisiana | New Orleans
- Minnesota | Minneapolis/St. Paul
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York City
- New York State
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Oregon | Portland
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area
- Washington | Seattle, King County, & Tacoma
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia