All things insurance, all in one place.
Insurance for rideshare drivers doesn’t have to be confusing. We’re here to help you understand what you need, what Lyft’s insurance covers, and what to do in an accident.
What you need to drive with Lyft
Drivers are required to have auto insurance that meets minimum state coverage requirements.
Keep in mind that most personal auto policies will not cover you while you’re driving with Lyft.
For complete coverage whenever you drive, consider buying a rideshare insurance policy or a rideshare endorsement.
To learn more about our insurance coverage, see our FAQs.
What Lyft’s insurance covers
There are three distinct periods that determine your insurance coverage while driving.
Coverage when the app is off
Your personal auto insurance coverage applies. If you rented a car through Express Drive, the standard insurance included applies.
Coverage when the app is on and drivers are able to receive ride requests
Lyft maintains third-party liability insurance for covered accidents if your personal insurance does not apply of at least: 1
- $50,000/person for bodily injury
- $100,000/accident for bodily injury
- $25,000/accident for property damage
*Coverage when the app is on and drivers are en route to pick up passengers, or during rides
Lyft maintains the following insurance for covered accidents:
- At least $1,000,000 for third-party auto liability
- First party coverages, which may include uninsured motorist coverage, underinsured motorist coverage, PIP, MedPay, and/or Occupational Accident coverage
- If a driver obtains comprehensive and collision on their personal auto policy, Lyft then maintains contingent comprehensive & collision coverage up to the actual cash value of the car ($2,500 deductible)
1 Except covered accidents occurring in Arizona and Nebraska; where the third-party liability insurance is $25,000/per person for bodily injury; $50,000/accident for bodily injury and $20,000/accident for property damage; consistent with state requirements.
OUR TRUSTED AUTO INSURANCE PARTNERS
What to do in an accident
Call 911 easily
To give you immediate access to emergency help in case you ever need it, we built a 911 button into your app.