Here’s what you’ll need to apply to drive in San Francisco
- 2008 or newer
- See if your car qualifies for Black to earn more on each ride
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver’s
- California license plate
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
Don’t have a car? Rent one through Express Drive, with standard insurance included. Available in select cities.
- Valid California driver’s license
- Active duty military applicants and their dependents can have an out-of-state driver's license and documents. Please visit us at your local hub to apply.
- 1 year of driving experience and be 25 or older
- Pass driver screening: reviews your driving history and criminal background check
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app
HOW DO I BECOME A LYFT DRIVER?
After you’ve uploaded your required documents, passed the background check, and completed the mandatory safety training, you’re ready to hit the road and start earning!
Drive and earn
Head to the learning center for helpful tutorials to get started, and make sure the Lyft emblem and other required documents are in your car. Open the Lyft Driver app, go online to start getting ride requests and making money on your own schedule.
Frequently asked questions
When will these new benefits become available?
How are guaranteed earnings calculated?
When will I receive the guaranteed earnings adjustment?
What happens if I make more than the guaranteed earnings amount?
How am I compensated for vehicle expenses?
How do I receive the healthcare subsidy?
Can I still go online at any time?
Can I still decline rides?
Can I still keep 100% of my tips?
What is occupational accident insurance?
Do I need to re-apply if I already drive with Lyft?
How much can I earn?
Can I rent a car instead of using my own?
Can I get help with my application in person?
Do I need a vehicle inspection to drive in San Francisco?
If I’m approved to drive in San Francisco am I approved to drive in other cities?