WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO APPLY TO DRIVE IN WASHINGTON, DC
Once you’re approved, you’ll also be able to drive anywhere in Virginia, Maryland,* or Washington, DC.
- 2010 or newer
- See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver’s
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
- Or rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included
- Valid Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia driver’s license*
- 21 or older
- Pass driver screening: reviews your driving history and criminal background check
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app
*Drivers without a Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia driver's license will not be dispatched for pickups in DC proper. Drivers with Express Drive vehicles must have a valid, non-temporary Washington, DC, MD, or VA driver’s license. Temporary licenses will not be accepted.
HOW DO I BECOME A LYFT DRIVER?
After you’ve uploaded your required documents and passed the background checks, you’re ready to start earning on the road!
Drive and earn
Review your Driver Guidebook for helpful tips and make sure the Lyft emblem and other required documents are in your car. Open the Lyft Driver app, go online to start getting ride requests and making money on your own schedule.