What you need to drive with Lyft in Washington, DC
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO APPLY TO DRIVE IN WASHINGTON, DC
Once you’re approved, you’ll also be able to drive anywhere in Virginia, Maryland,* or Washington, DC.
- 2013 or newer
- See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver’s
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Not a taxi or stretch limousine
- Not titled as salvage, non-repairable, rebuilt or any other equivalent classification
- Or rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included
- Valid Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia driver’s license*
- 25 or older
- Pass driver screening: reviews your driving history and criminal background check
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app
*Drivers without a Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia driver's license will not be dispatched for pickups in DC proper. Drivers with Express Drive vehicles must have a valid, non-temporary Washington, DC, MD, or VA driver’s license. Temporary licenses will not be accepted.
- Personal vehicle insurance
- Driver profile photo — Learn how to take the best photo.
- Proof of Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia vehicle inspection
- DFHV non-MSA decal (Active Military members only)
- See examples of these documents
HOW DO I BECOME A LYFT DRIVER?
You can fill out the application here, or in the Lyft Driver app — download it from the App Store (iOS) or the Google Play store.
After you’ve uploaded your required documents and passed the background checks, you’re ready to start earning on the road!
Drive and earn
Head to the learning center for helpful tutorials to get started, and make sure the Lyft emblem and other required documents are in your car. Open the Lyft Driver app, go online to start getting ride requests and making money on your own schedule.