WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO APPLY TO DRIVE IN NEW YORK CITY
Once you’re approved, you’ll also be able to drive anywhere in New York City.
All vehicle requirements in New York City are governed by the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC)
- 2011 or older with approved TLC inspection
- See if your car qualifies for Lyft Lux or Lyft Lux Black to earn more on each ride
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver’s
- New York or New Jersey license plate
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Or rent a car through Express Drive with standard insurance included
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable, as long as you have a current TLC (for-hire) license.
- TLC Driver’s License
- Valid For-Hire Vehicle License or a Medallion FHV License are also acceptable — Learn more.
- 18 or older
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app
HOW DO I BECOME A LYFT DRIVER?
After you’ve uploaded your required documents and passed the background checks, you’re ready to start earning on the road!
Drive and earn
Review your Driver Guidebook for helpful tips and make sure the Lyft emblem and other required documents are in your car. Open the Lyft Driver app, go online to start getting ride requests and making money on your own schedule.