WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO APPLY TO DRIVE IN NEW YORK CITY
Once you’re approved, you’ll also be able to drive anywhere in New York City.
All vehicle requirements in New York City are governed by the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC)
- 2007 or newer with approved TLC inspection
- 4 doors
- 5-8 seats, including the driver’s
- New York or New Jersey license plate
- Not on the list of ineligible subcompact vehicles
- Valid driver’s license — Temporary or out-of-state licenses are also acceptable, as long as you have a current TLC (for-hire) license.
- TLC Driver’s License
- Valid For-Hire Vehicle License or a Medallion FHV License are also acceptable — Learn more.
- 18 or older
- Any smartphone that can download and run the Lyft Driver app
After you’ve uploaded your required documents and passed the background checks, you’re ready to start earning on the road!
Drive and earn
Head to the learning center for helpful tutorials to get started, and make sure the Lyft emblem and other required documents are in your car. Open the Lyft Driver app, go online to start getting ride requests and making money on your own schedule.
Frequently asked questions
How much can I earn?
Can I get help with my application in person?
Do I need a vehicle inspection to drive in New York City?
If I’m approved to drive in New York City am I approved to drive in other cities?