The Lyft Platform
The Lyft Platform provides a marketplace where persons who seek transportation to certain destinations (“Riders”) can be matched with persons driving to or through those destinations (“Drivers”). Drivers and Riders are collectively referred to in this Agreement as “Users,” and each User shall create a User account that enables access to the Lyft Platform. For purposes of this Agreement, the driving services provided by Drivers to Riders that are matched through the Lyft Platform shall be referred to collectively as the “Services”. Any decision by a User to offer or accept Services is a decision made in such User’s sole discretion. Each transportation Service provided by a Driver to a Rider shall constitute a separate agreement between such persons.
Modification to the Agreement
Lyft may change the terms and conditions of this Agreement from time to time. Such changes shall not be binding upon you unless we provide you with advance notice of such changes to this Agreement, in which case they will become effective on the date specified in the notice. To the extent permitted by law, continued use of the Lyft Platform or Services after any such changes are in effect shall constitute your consent to such changes. Unless material changes are made to the arbitration provisions herein, you agree that modification of this Agreement does not create a renewed opportunity to opt out of arbitration. Lyft reserves the right to modify any information referenced in the hyperlinks from this Agreement from time to time, and such modifications shall become effective upon posting.
The Lyft Platform may only be used by individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. The Lyft Platform is not available to children (persons under the age of majority in your province or territory of residence) or Users who have had their User account temporarily or permanently deactivated. By becoming a User, you represent and warrant that you are at least the age of majority in your province or territory of residence and that you have the right, authority and capacity to enter into and abide by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You may not allow other persons to use your User account, and you agree that you are the sole authorized user of your account.
As a Rider, you agree to pay the amounts charged for your use of the Lyft Platform and Services (“Charges”). Charges include Fares and other applicable fees, tolls, surcharges, and taxes as set out on your market’s Lyft Cities page (www.lyft.com/cities), plus any tips to the Driver that you elect to pay. Lyft has the authority and reserves the right to determine and modify pricing by posting applicable pricing terms to your market’s Lyft Cities page. Pricing may vary based on the type of service you request (e.g., Lyft Plus, Lyft SUV) as described on your market’s Lyft Cities page. Please check your Lyft Cities page before requesting a ride. You are responsible for reviewing the applicable Lyft Cities page and shall be responsible for all Charges incurred under your User account regardless of your awareness of such Charges or the amounts thereof. All Charges will be in Canadian dollars.
Fares. There are two types of fares (each, a “Fare”), variable and quoted.
- Variable Fares. Variable fares consist of a base charge and incremental charges based on the duration and distance of your ride. For particularly short rides, minimum fares may apply. Please note that we use GPS data from your Driver’s phone to calculate the distance traveled on your ride. We cannot guarantee the availability or accuracy of GPS data. If we lose signal we will calculate time and distance using available data from your ride.
- Quoted Fares. In some cases Lyft may quote you a Fare at the time of your request. The quote is subject to change until the ride request is confirmed. If during your ride you change your destination, make multiple stops, or attempt to abuse the Lyft Platform, we may cancel the fare quote and charge you a variable fare based on the time and distance of your ride. Lyft does not guarantee that the quoted fare price will be equal to a variable fare for the same ride.
- Prime Time. Fares may be subject to a multiplier at times of high demand of the Services (“Prime Time”) as determined by Lyft. For all rides with a variable fare, we will use reasonable efforts to inform you of any Prime Time multipliers in effect at the time of your request. For quoted fares we may factor in the Prime Time multiplier into the quoted price of the ride. Any Prime Time charges shall be considered part of the Fare.
Fees and Other Charges.
- Service Fee. You may be charged a “Service Fee” for each ride as set forth on the applicable Lyft Cities page.
- Cancellation Fee. After requesting a ride you may cancel it through the app, but note that in certain cases a cancellation fee may apply. You may also be charged if you fail to show up after requesting a ride. Please check out our Help Center to learn more about Lyft’s cancellation policy, including applicable fees.
- Damage Fee. If a Driver reports that you have materially damaged the Driver's vehicle, to the fullest extent not prohibited by applicable law, you agree to pay a “Damage Fee” of up to Can$250 depending on the extent of the damage (as determined by Lyft in its sole discretion), towards vehicle repair or cleaning. Lyft reserves the right (but is not obligated) to verify or otherwise require documentation of damages prior to processing the Damage Fee.
- Tolls. In some instances tolls (or return tolls) may apply to your ride. Please see our Help Center and your market’s Lyft Cities page for more information about toll charges and a list of applicable tolls and return charges. We do not guarantee that the amount charged by Lyft will match the toll charged to the Driver, if any.
- Other Charges. Other fees and surcharges may apply to your ride, including: actual or anticipated airport fees, provincial or local fees, event fees as determined by Lyft or its marketing partners, and processing fees for split payments. In addition, where required by law Lyft will collect applicable taxes. See your market’s Lyft Cities page for details on other Charges that may apply to your ride.
- GST/HST. All amounts payable hereunder are exclusive of applicable goods and services/harmonized sales taxes (GST/HST), and Driver or Lyft, as the case may be, shall be responsible to charge applicable GST/HST in addition to such amounts.
- Tips. Following a ride, you may elect to tip your Driver in cash or through the Lyft application. Any tips will be provided entirely to the applicable Driver.
- Facilitation of Charges. All Charges are facilitated through a third-party payment processing service (e.g., Stripe, Inc., or Braintree, a division of PayPal, Inc.). Lyft may replace its third-party payment processing services without notice to you. Charges shall only be made through the Lyft Platform. With the exception of tips, cash payments are strictly prohibited.
- No Refunds. All Charges are non-refundable. This no-refund policy shall apply at all times regardless of your decision to terminate usage of the Lyft Platform, any disruption to the Lyft Platform or Services, or any other reason whatsoever.
- Coupons. You may receive Coupons that you can apply toward payment of certain Charges upon completion of a Ride. You may present Coupons by selecting one for application toward payment, and Lyft will accept the Coupon on the Driver’s behalf. Coupons are only valid for use on the Lyft Platform, and are not transferable or redeemable for cash except as required by law. Coupons cannot be combined, and if the cost of your ride exceeds the applicable Coupon value we will charge your payment method on file for the outstanding cost of the Ride. For quoted or variable fares, Lyft may deduct the amount attributable to the Service Fee, Tolls, or Other Charges before application of the Coupon. If you split payment for a ride with another User, your Coupon will only apply to your portion of the Charges. Additional restrictions on Coupons may apply as communicated to you in a relevant promotion or by clicking on the relevant Coupon within the Promotions section of the Lyft application.
- Credits. “Credits” are credits that can be used towards payment of Fares, subject to certain restrictions. In cases where Lyft contracts with your employer or another third party for Credits to be applied to your User account and to be payable directly by such person, such Lyft Credits are not considered to be coupons and GST/HST will be applied to the full amount of the Charges.
- Payment Methods.. Upon addition of a new payment method or each ride request, Lyft may seek authorization of your selected payment method to verify the payment method, ensure the ride cost will be covered, and protect against unauthorized behavior. The authorization is not a charge, however, it may reduce your available credit by the authorization amount until your bank’s next processing cycle. Should the amount of our authorization exceed the total funds on deposit in your account, you may be subject to overdraft of NSF charges by the bank issuing your debit or prepaid card. We cannot be held responsible for these charges and are unable to assist you in recovering them from your issuing bank. Check out our Help Center to learn more about our use of pre-authorization holds.
If you are a Driver, you will receive payment for your provision of Services. All Fare payments are subject to Lyft Fees, discussed below. You will also receive any tips provided by Riders to you, and tips will not be subject to any Lyft Fees. Lyft will process all payments due to you through its third party payments processor. You acknowledge and agree that such amounts shall not include any interest and will be net of any amounts that we are required to withhold by law.
- Lyft Fees. In exchange for permitting you to offer your Services through the Lyft Platform and marketplace as a Driver, you agree to pay Lyft (and permit Lyft to retain) a fee based on each transaction in which you provide Services (the “Lyft Fees”). The amount of the applicable Lyft Fees will be communicated to you in a Driver Addendum to this Agreement available through the Driver portal. The addendum is incorporated into this Agreement by reference and shall be considered part of this Agreement for Drivers. Lyft reserves the right to change the Lyft Fees at any time in Lyft’s discretion based upon local market factors, and Lyft will provide you with advance notice in the event of such change. Continued use of the Lyft Platform after any such change in the Lyft Fees calculation shall constitute your consent to such change.
- Pricing. You expressly authorize Lyft to set the prices on your behalf for all Charges that apply to the provision of Services. Lyft reserves the right to change the Fare schedule at any time in our discretion based upon local market factors, and we will provide you with advance notice in the event of changes to the base fare, per kilometer, and/or per minute amounts that would result in a change in the applicable Fares. Charges may be subject to maximum limits as set forth in your market’s Lyft Cities page or the Lyft Help Center.
- Fare Adjustment. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Lyft reserves the right to adjust or withhold all or a portion of Fares if it believes that (i) you have attempted to defraud or abuse Lyft or Lyft’s payment systems, (ii) in order to resolve a Rider complaint (e.g., you took an inefficient route or failed to properly end a particular instance of Services in the Lyft application when the ride was over). Lyft’s decision to adjust or withhold the Fare in any way shall be exercised in a reasonable manner.
- Express Pay. If Express Pay is available to you and you elect to receive payments through Lyft’s Express Pay feature (which Lyft may offer to you in its sole discretion), you acknowledge that payments made to your debit card are provided through a financial institution designated by Lyft, upon receiving instructions from Lyft’s payment processor Stripe following your approval. The financial institution designated by Lyft will make payment pursuant to its agreement with Stripe. All Express Pay funds are transferred to your debit card by the financial institution designated by Lyft and not Stripe. You will be charged a fee for this Express Pay service as described by Lyft prior to confirmation. Note that your financial institution may not support Express Pay, and not all payments through the Lyft Platform are eligible for Express Pay.
- GST/HST on your Payments to Lyft. All amounts payable by Driver hereunder (e.g., Lyft Fees) are exclusive of applicable goods and services/harmonized sales taxes (GST/HST), and Lyft shall be responsible to charge applicable GST/HST in addition to such amounts.
- GST/HST on Payments to You. For Rider Charges, Lyft shall charge GST/HST to the Riders on behalf of each Driver and shall pay over the GST/HST to such Driver, net of any Lyft Fees and other similar amounts and any GST/HST thereon, for remittance to the Canada Revenue Agency. We will also add applicable GST/HST on any bonus or referral payments to you. The Driver is responsible to provide Lyft with a valid GST/HST registration number.
- Lyft shall not be responsible, and each Driver shall indemnify and hold Lyft harmless, for any GST/HST, interest, penalties and other amounts that may be assessed by the Canada Revenue Agency as a result of a Driver’s failure to become registered or to maintain a valid registration for GST/HST purposes, or as a result of a Driver’s failure to remit GST/HST or otherwise comply with his or her obligations under applicable law. The Driver is responsible to inform Lyft promptly of any changes to his or her GST/HST registration status, and to report and remit GST/HST on all amounts collected and collectable by the Driver as required by applicable law. For GST/HST purposes, Coupons are presented by Rider, and accepted by Lyft on behalf of the Driver, when selected by the Rider for application toward payment. Reimbursement payments by Lyft to a Driver for the Driver’s acceptance of a Coupon are not subject to GST/HST.
By entering into this Agreement or using the Platform, you agree to receive communications from us, including via e-mail, text message, calls, and push notifications. You agree that texts, calls or prerecorded messages may be generated by automatic telephone dialing systems. Communications from Lyft and/or Drivers, may include: operational communications concerning your User account or use of the Lyft Platform or Services, updates concerning new and existing features on the Lyft Platform, communications concerning promotions run by us or our third- party partners, and news concerning Lyft and industry developments. Standard text messaging charges applied by your cell phone carrier will apply to text messages we send.
IF YOU WISH TO OPT OUT OF PROMOTIONAL EMAILS, YOU CAN UNSUBSCRIBE FROM OUR PROMOTIONAL EMAIL LIST BY FOLLOWING THE UNSUBSCRIBE OPTIONS IN THE PROMOTIONAL EMAIL ITSELF. IF YOU WISH TO OPT OUT OF PROMOTIONAL CALLS OR TEXTS, YOU MAY RESPOND WITH “STOP” TO ANY TEXT MESSAGE YOU RECEIVE FROM LYFT, WHICH WILL THEN STOP MESSAGES OF THAT TYPE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO CONSENT TO RECEIVE PROMOTIONAL TEXTS OR CALLS AS A CONDITION OF USING THE LYFT PLATFORM OR THE SERVICES. IF YOU WISH TO OPT OUT OF ALL TEXTS OR CALLS FROM LYFT (INCLUDING OPERATIONAL OR TRANSACTIONAL TEXTS OR CALLS), YOU CAN TEXT THE WORD “STOPALL” TO ANY OF THE MESSAGES YOU RECEIVE FROM LYFT, HOWEVER YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT OPTING OUT OF RECEIVING ALL TEXTS MAY IMPACT YOUR USE OF THE LYFT PLATFORM OR THE SERVICES. TO OPT BACK IN, TEXT THE WORD “STARTALL” TO ANY OF THE TEXTS YOU PREVIOUSLY RECEIVED FROM LYFT.
You may be able to create or log-in to your Lyft User account through online accounts you may have with third party social networking sites (each such account, an “SNS Account”). By connecting to Lyft through an SNS Account, you understand that Lyft may access, store, and make available any SNS Account content according to the permission settings of your SNS Account (e.g., friends, mutual friends, contacts or following/followed lists (the “SNS Content”)). You understand that SNS Content may be available on and through the Lyft Platform to other Users. Unless otherwise specified in this Agreement, all SNS Content, if any, shall be considered to be your Information.
Promotions and Referral Programs
Lyft, at its sole discretion, may make available promotions with different features to any Users or prospective Users. These promotions, unless made to you, shall have no bearing whatsoever on your Agreement or relationship with Lyft. Lyft reserves the right to withhold or deduct credits or benefits obtained through a promotion in the event that Lyft determines or believes that the redemption of the promotion or receipt of the credit or benefit was in error, fraudulent, illegal, or in violation of the applicable promotion terms or this Agreement.
As part of your User account, Lyft may provide you with or allow you to create a “Lyft Code,” a unique alphanumeric code for you to distribute to your friends and family members (each a “Referred User”) to become new Lyft Riders (“Referred Riders”) or Drivers (“Referred Drivers”) in your country. Lyft Codes may only be distributed for promotional purposes and must be given away free of charge. You may not sell, trade, or barter your Lyft Code. You are prohibited from advertising Lyft Codes, including: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Bing and Craigslist. Lyft reserves the right to deactivate or invalidate any Lyft Code at any time in Lyft’s discretion.
From time to time, Lyft may offer you incentives to refer your friends and family members to become new Users of the Lyft Platform in your country (the “Referral Program”). These incentives may come in the form of Credits, and Lyft may set or change the incentive types, amounts, terms, restrictions, and qualification requirements for any incentives in its sole discretion. Your distribution of Lyft Codes and participation in the Referral Program is subject to this Agreement and the additional Referral Program rules.
With respect to your use of the Lyft Platform and your participation in the Services, you agree that you will not:
- impersonate any person or entity;
- stalk, threaten, or otherwise harass any person, or carry any weapons;
- violate any law, statute, rule, permit, ordinance or regulation;
- interfere with or disrupt the Services or the Lyft Platform or the servers or networks connected to the Lyft Platform;
- post Information or interact on the Lyft Platform or Services in a manner which is false, inaccurate, misleading (directly or by omission or failure to update information), defamatory, libelous, abusive, obscene, profane, offensive, sexually oriented, threatening, harassing, or illegal;
- use the Lyft Platform in any way that infringes any third party’s rights, including but not limited to: intellectual property rights, copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy;
- post, email or otherwise transmit any malicious code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment or surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any information transmitted through the Lyft Platform;
- “frame” or “mirror” any part of the Lyft Platform, without our prior written authorization or use meta tags or code or other devices containing any reference to us in order to direct any person to any other web site for any purpose; or
- modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decipher, decompile or otherwise disassemble any portion of the Lyft Platform or any software used on or for the Lyft Platform;
- rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute, license or sublicense the Lyft Platform or access to any portion of the Lyft Platform;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, scrape, “data mine”, or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Lyft Platform or its contents;
- link directly or indirectly to any other web sites;
- transfer or sell your User account, password and/or identification to any other party
- discriminate against or harass anyone on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age or sexual orientation, or
- cause any third party to engage in the restricted activities above.
Driver Representations, Warranties and Agreements
By providing Services as a Driver on the Lyft Platform, you represent, warrant, and agree that:
- You possess a valid driver’s license and are authorized and medically fit to operate a motor vehicle and have all appropriate licenses, approvals and authority to provide transportation to Riders in all jurisdictions in which you provide Services.
- You own, or have the legal right to operate, the vehicle you use when providing Services, and such vehicle is in good operating condition and meets the industry safety standards and all applicable statutory and state department of motor vehicle requirements for a vehicle of its kind.
- You will not engage in reckless behavior while driving, drive unsafely, operate a vehicle that is unsafe to drive, be involved in a motor vehicle accident or collision of any kind, permit an unauthorized third party to accompany you in the vehicle while providing Services, provide Services as a Driver while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or take action that harms or threatens to harm the safety of the Lyft community or third parties.
- You will only provide Services using the vehicle that has been reported to, and approved by Lyft, and for which a photograph has been provided to Lyft, and you will not transport more passengers than can securely be seated in such vehicle (and no more than seven (7) passengers in any instance).
- You will not make any misrepresentation regarding Lyft, the Lyft Platform, the Services or your status as a Driver.
- You will not, while providing the Services, operate as a public carrier or taxi service, accept street hails, charge for rides (except as expressly provided in this Agreement), demand that a rider pay in cash, or use a credit card reader, such as a Square Reader, to accept payment or engage in any other activity in a manner that is inconsistent with your obligations under this Agreement.
- You will not attempt to defraud Lyft or Riders on the Lyft Platform or in connection with your provision of Services. If we suspect that you have engaged in fraudulent activity we may withhold applicable Fares or other payments for the ride(s) in question.
- You will make reasonable accommodation for Riders and/or for service animals, as required by law
- You agree that we may obtain information about you, including your criminal and driving records, and you agree to provide any further necessary authorizations to facilitate our access to such records during the term of the Agreement.
- You have a valid policy of liability insurance (in coverage amounts consistent with all applicable legal requirements) that names or schedules you for the operation of the vehicle you use to provide Services.
- You will pay all applicable federal, state and local taxes based on your provision of Services and any payments received by you.
All intellectual property rights in the Lyft Platform shall be owned by Lyft absolutely and in their entirety. These rights include and are not limited to database rights, copyright, design rights (whether registered or unregistered), trademarks (whether registered or unregistered) and other similar rights wherever existing in the world together with the right to apply for protection of the same. All other trademarks, logos, service marks, company or product names set forth in the Lyft Platform are the property of their respective owners. You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback or other information (“Submissions”) provided by you to us are non-confidential and shall become the sole property of Lyft. Lyft shall own exclusive rights, including all intellectual property rights, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of these Submissions for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.
Lyft and other Lyft logos, designs, graphics, icons, scripts and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or trade dress of Lyft in the United States and/or other countries (collectively, the “Lyft Marks”). If you provide Services as a Driver, Lyft grants to you, during the term of this Agreement, and subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, a limited, revocable, non-exclusive license to display and use the Lyft Marks solely in connection with providing the Services through the Lyft Platform (“License”). The License is non-transferable and non-assignable, and you shall not grant to any third party any right, permission, license or sublicense with respect to any of the rights granted hereunder without Lyft’s prior written permission, which it may withhold in its sole discretion. The Lyft Marks may not be used in any manner that is likely to cause confusion.
You acknowledge that Lyft is the owner and licensor of the Lyft Marks, including all goodwill associated therewith, and that your use of the Lyft Marks will confer no additional interest in or ownership of the Lyft Marks in you but rather inures to the benefit of Lyft. You agree to use the Lyft Marks strictly in accordance with Lyft’s Trademark Usage Guidelines, as may be provided to you and revised from time to time, and to immediately cease any use that Lyft determines to nonconforming or otherwise unacceptable.
You agree that you will not: (1) create any materials that incorporate the Lyft Marks or any derivatives of the Lyft Marks other than as expressly approved by Lyft in writing; (2) use the Lyft Marks in any way that tends to impair their validity as proprietary trademarks, service marks, trade names or trade dress, or use the Lyft Marks other than in accordance with the terms, conditions and restrictions herein; (3) take any other action that would jeopardize or impair Lyft’s rights as owner of the Lyft Marks or the legality and/or enforceability of the Lyft Marks, including, without limitation, challenging or opposing Lyft’s ownership in the Lyft Marks; (4) apply for trademark registration or renewal of trademark registration of any of the Lyft Marks, any derivative of the Lyft Marks, any combination of the Lyft Marks and any other name, or any trademark, service mark, trade name, symbol or word which is similar to the Lyft Marks; (5) use the Lyft Marks on or in connection with any product, service or activity that is in violation of any law, statute, government regulation or standard.
Violation of any provision of this License may result in immediate termination of the License, in Lyft’s sole discretion. If you create any materials bearing the Lyft Marks (in violation of this Agreement or otherwise), you agree that upon their creation Lyft exclusively owns all right, title and interest in and to such materials, including without limitation any modifications to the Lyft Marks or derivative works based on the Lyft Marks. You further agree to assign any interest or right you may have in such materials to Lyft, and to provide information and execute any documents as reasonably requested by Lyft to enable Lyft to formalize such assignment.
Lyft respects the intellectual property of others, and expects Users to do the same. If you believe, in good faith, that any materials on the Lyft Platform or Services infringe upon your copyrights, please visit Copyright Policy page for information on how to make a copyright complaint.
The following disclaimers are made on behalf of Lyft, our affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, successors and assigns, and each of our respective officers, directors, employees, agents, and shareholders.
Lyft does not provide transportation services, and Lyft is not a transportation carrier. It is up to the Driver to decide whether or not to offer a ride to a Rider contacted through the Lyft Platform, and it is up to the Rider to decide whether or not to accept a ride from any Driver contacted through the Lyft Platform. We cannot ensure that a Driver or Rider will complete an arranged transportation service. We have no control over the quality or safety of the transportation that occurs as a result of the Services.
Some provinces do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, so the following disclaimer may not apply to you. The Lyft Platform is provided on an “as is” basis and, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, without any warranty or condition, express, implied or statutory. We do not guarantee and do not promise any specific results from use of the Lyft Platform and/or the Services, including the ability to provide or receive Services at any given location or time. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we specifically disclaim any implied warranties of title, merchantability, quality, fitness for a particular purpose, durability and non-infringement.
We do not warrant that your use of the Lyft Platform or Services will be accurate, complete, reliable, current, secure, uninterrupted, always available, or error- free, or will meet your requirements, that any defects in the Lyft Platform will be corrected, or that the Lyft Platform is free of viruses or other harmful components. We disclaim liability for, and no warranty is made with respect to, connectivity and availability of the Lyft Platform or Services.
We cannot guarantee that each Rider is who he or she claims to be. Please use common sense when using the Lyft Platform and Services, including looking at the photos of the Driver or Rider you have matched with to make sure it is the same individual you see in person. Please note that there are also risks of dealing with underage persons or people acting under false pretense, and we do not accept responsibility or liability for any content, communication or other use or access of the Lyft Platform by persons under the age of 18 in violation of this Agreement. We encourage you to communicate directly with each potential Driver or Rider prior to engaging in an arranged transportation service.
Lyft is not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any User of the Lyft Platform or Services. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Users. We do not procure insurance for, nor are we responsible for, personal belongings left in the car by Drivers or Riders. By using the Lyft Platform and participating in the Services, you agree to accept such risks and agree that Lyft is not responsible for the acts or omissions of Users on the Lyft Platform or participating in the Services.
Lyft expressly disclaims any liability arising from the unauthorized use of your User account. Should you suspect that any unauthorized party may be using your User account or you suspect any other breach of security, you agree to notify us immediately.
It is possible for others to obtain information about you that you provide, publish or post to or through the Lyft Platform (including any profile information you provide), send to other Users, or share during the Services, and to use such information to harass or harm you. We are not responsible for the use of any personal information that you disclose to other Users on the Lyft Platform or through the Services. Please carefully select the type of information that you post on the Lyft Platform or through the Services or release to others. We disclaim all liability, regardless of the form of action, for the acts or omissions of other Users (including unauthorized users, or “hackers”).
Opinions, advice, statements, offers, or other information or content concerning Lyft or made available through the Lyft Platform, but not directly by us, are those of their respective authors, and should not necessarily be relied upon. Such authors are solely responsible for such content. Under no circumstances will we be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on information or other content posted by third parties, whether on the Lyft Platform or otherwise. We reserve the right, but we have no obligation, to monitor the materials posted on the Lyft Platform and remove any such material that in our sole opinion violates, or is alleged to violate, the law or this agreement or which might be offensive, illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of Users or others.
Location data provided by the Lyft Platform is for basic location purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon in situations where precise location information is needed or where erroneous, inaccurate or incomplete location data may lead to death, personal injury, property or environmental damage. Neither Lyft, nor any of its content providers, guarantees the availability, accuracy, completeness, reliability, or timeliness of location data tracked or displayed by the Lyft Platform. Any of your Information, including geolocational data, you upload, provide, or post on the Lyft Platform may be accessible to Lyft and certain Users of the Lyft Platform.
Lyft advises you to use the Lyft Platform with a data plan with unlimited or very high data usage limits, and Lyft shall not responsible or liable for any fees, costs, or overage charges associated with any data plan you use to access the Lyft Platform.
This paragraph applies to any version of the Lyft Platform that you acquire from the Apple App Store. This Agreement is entered into between you and Lyft. Apple, Inc. (“Apple”) is not a party to this Agreement and shall have no obligations with respect to the Lyft Platform. Lyft, not Apple, is solely responsible for the Lyft Platform and the content thereof as set forth hereunder. However, Apple and Apple’s subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of this Agreement. Upon your acceptance of this Agreement, Apple shall have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce this Agreement against you as a third party beneficiary thereof. This Agreement incorporates by reference Apple’s Licensed Application End User License Agreement, for purposes of which, you are “the end-user.” In the event of a conflict in the terms of the Licensed Application End User License Agreement and this Agreement, the terms of this Agreement shall control.
Provincial and Local Disclosures
Certain jurisdictions require additional disclosures to you. You can view any disclosures required by your local jurisdiction at www.lyft.com/terms/disclosures. We will update the disclosures page as jurisdictions add, remove or amend these required disclosures, so please check in regularly for updates.
You will defend, indemnify, and hold Lyft including our affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, successors and assigns, and each of our respective officers, directors, employees, agents, or shareholders harmless from any claims, actions, suits, losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) relating to or arising out of your use of the Lyft Platform and participation in the Services, including: (1) your breach of this Agreement or the documents it incorporates by reference; (2) your violation of any law or the rights of a third party, including, without limitation, Drivers, Riders, other motorists, and pedestrians, as a result of your own interaction with such third party; (3) any allegation that any materials that you submit to us or transmit through the Lyft Platform or to us infringe or otherwise violate the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property or other rights of any third party; (4) your ownership, use or operation of a motor vehicle or passenger vehicle, including your provision of Services as a Driver; and/or (5) any other activities in connection with the Services. This indemnity shall be applicable without regard to the negligence of any party, including any indemnified person.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will Lyft, including our affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, successors and assigns, and each of our respective officers, directors, employees, agents, or shareholders (collectively “Lyft” for purposes of this section), be liable to you for any incidental, special, exemplary, punitive, consequential, or indirect damages (including, but not limited to, damages for deletion, corruption, loss of data, loss of programs, failure to store any information or other content maintained or transmitted by the Lyft Platform, service interruptions, or for the cost of procurement of substitute services) arising out of or in connection with the Lyft Platform, the Services, or this Agreement, however arising including negligence, even if we or our agents or representatives know or have been advised of the possibility of such damages. The Lyft Platform may be used by you to request and schedule transportation, goods, or other services with third party providers, but you agree that Lyft has no responsibility or liability to you related to any transportation, goods or other services provided to you by third party providers other than as expressly set forth in there terms. Certain jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of certain damages. If these laws apply to you, some or all of the above disclaimers, exclusions or limitations may not apply to you, and you may have additional rights.
Term and Termination
This Agreement is effective upon your creation of a User account. This Agreement may be terminated: a) by User, without cause, upon seven (7) days’ prior written notice to Lyft; or b) by either Party immediately, without notice, upon the other Party’s material breach of this Agreement, including but not limited to any breach of Section 9 or breach of Section 10(a) through (i) of this Agreement. In addition, Lyft may terminate this Agreement or deactivate your User account immediately in the event: (1) you no longer qualify to provide Services or to operate the approved vehicle under applicable law, rule, permit, ordinance or regulation; (2) you fall below Lyft’s star rating or cancellation threshold; (3) Lyft has the good faith belief that such action is necessary to protect the safety of the Lyft community or third parties, provided that in the event of a deactivation pursuant to (1)-(3) above, you will be given notice of the potential or actual deactivation and an opportunity to attempt to cure the issue to Lyft’s reasonable satisfaction prior to Lyft permanently terminating the Agreement. For all other breaches of this Agreement, you will be provided notice and an opportunity to cure the breach. If the breach is cured in a timely manner and to Lyft’s satisfaction, this Agreement will not be permanently terminated. Sections 2, 6, 7 (with respect to the license), 11-12, 14-19, and 21 shall survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Agreement
THE LAWS OF CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF AN AGREEMENT REQUIRING YOU TO SUBMIT TO BINDING ARBITRATION OR TO WAIVE ANY RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE TO PURSUE A PROCEEDING ON A CLASS, COLLECTIVE OR REPRESENTATIVE BASIS IN RESPECT OF CERTAIN DISPUTES YOU MAY HAVE WITH THE LYFT ENTITIES IN WHICH CASE SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS WITH RESPECT TO BINDING ARBITRATION AND WAIVER OF RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO CLASS, COLLECTIVE OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MAY HAVE THE RIGHT TO INITIATE OR PARTICIPATE IN COURT PROCEEDINGS ON A INDIVIDUAL, CLASS, COLLECTIVE OR REPRESENTATIVE BASIS.
(a) Agreement to Binding Arbitration Between You and Lyft.
You and Lyft mutually agree to waive, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, our respective rights to resolution of disputes in a court of law by a judge or jury and agree to resolve any dispute by arbitration as set forth below. This agreement to arbitrate (“Arbitration Agreement”) survives after this Agreement terminates or your relationship with Lyft ends. To the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, any arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement will take place on an individual basis and class arbitrations and class actions are not permitted.
Except as expressly provided below, this Arbitration Agreement applies to all Claims (defined below) between you and Lyft, including our affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, successors and assigns, and each of our respective officers, directors, employees, agents, or shareholders.
These Claims include, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, but are not limited to, any dispute, claim or controversy, whether based on past, present, or future events, arising out of or relating to: this Agreement and prior versions thereof (including the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof), the Lyft Platform, the Services, any other goods or services made available through the Lyft Platform, your relationship with Lyft, the threatened or actual suspension, deactivation or termination of your User Account or this Agreement, payments made by you or any payments made or allegedly owed to you, any promotions or offers made by Lyft, and all other common law and statutory claims between you and Lyft or its affiliates and their respective employees, officers, directors and shareholders. To the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, disputes concerning the arbitrability of a Claim (including disputes about the scope, applicability, enforceability, revocability or validity of the Arbitration Agreement) shall be decided by the arbitrator.
BY AGREEING TO ARBITRATION, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU AND LYFT ARE WAIVING THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT OR HAVE A JURY TRIAL FOR ALL CLAIMS, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT OR REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW. THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT IS INTENDED TO REQUIRE ARBITRATION OF EVERY CLAIM OR DISPUTE THAT CAN LAWFULLY BE ARBITRATED.
(b) Prohibition of Class Actions and Non-Individualized Relief.
You understand and agree that, to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, that you and Lyft may each bring claims in arbitration against the other only in a individual capacity and not on a class, collective or representative basis (“Class Action Waiver”). You understand and agree that you and Lyft both are waiving the right to pursue or have a dispute resolved as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class, collective or representative proceeding. An arbitrator appointed pursuant to this Arbitration Agreement shall have no authority to consider or resolve any Claim or issue any relief on any basis other than an individual basis. The arbitrator shall have no authority to consider or resolve any Claim or issue any relief on a class, collective, or representative basis.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, the Arbitration Agreement or the AAA Rules, disputes regarding the scope, applicability, enforceability, revocability or validity of the Class Action Waiver may be resolved only by a civil court of competent jurisdiction and not by an arbitrator. In any case in which: (1) the dispute is filed as a class, collective, or representative action and (2) there is a final judicial determination that the Class Action Waiver is unenforceable as to any Claims, the class, collective, and/or representative action on such Claims must be litigated in a civil court of competent jurisdiction, but the Class Action Waiver shall be enforced in arbitration on an individual basis as to all other Claims to the fullest extent possible.
(c) Rules Governing the Arbitration.
Any arbitration conducted pursuant to this Arbitration Agreement shall be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) and pursuant to the applicable AAA rules. You can learn more about the AAA and its rules and processes at www.adr.org. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if requested by you and if proper based on the facts and circumstances of the Claims presented, the arbitrator shall have the discretion to select a different set of arbitration rules, but in no event shall the arbitrator consolidate more than one person’s Claims, or otherwise preside over any form of class, collective or representative proceeding.
As part of the arbitration, both you and Lyft will have the opportunity for reasonable discovery of non-privileged information that is relevant to the Claim. The arbitrator may award any individualized remedies that would be available in court. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by that party's individual claims. The arbitrator will provide a reasoned written statement of the arbitrator’s decision which shall explain the award given and the findings and conclusions on which the decision is based.
The arbitrator will decide the substance of all claims in accordance with applicable law, and will honor all claims of privilege recognized by law. The arbitrator shall not be bound by rulings in prior arbitrations involving different Riders or Drivers, but is bound by rulings in prior arbitrations involving the same Rider or Driver to the extent required by applicable law. The arbitrator’s award shall be final and binding and judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction, provided that such award may be challenged to the extent provided for under applicable law.
(d) Arbitration Fees and Awards.
The payment of filing and arbitration fees will be governed by the relevant AAA Rules subject to the following modifications:
- 1. If you initiate arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement after participating in the optional Negotiation process described in subsection (i) below and are otherwise required to pay a filing fee under the relevant AAA Rules, Lyft agrees that, unless your claim is for Can$5,000 or more, your share of the filing and arbitration fees is limited to Can$50, and that, after you submit proof of payment of the filing fee to Lyft, Lyft will promptly reimburse you for all but Can$50 of the filing fee. If, however, the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the claim is frivolous, vexatious or brought for an improper purpose, then the payment of all such fees will be governed by the applicable AAA Rules.
- If Lyft initiates arbitration under this Arbitration Agreement, Lyft will pay all AAA filing and arbitration fees.
- With respect to any Claims brought by Lyft against a Driver, or for Claims brought by a Driver against Lyft that: (A) are based on an alleged employment relationship between Lyft and a Driver; (B) arise out of, or relate to, Lyft’s actual deactivation of a Driver’s User account or a threat by Lyft to deactivate a Driver’s User account; (C) arise out of, or relate to, Lyft’s actual termination of a Driver’s Agreement with Lyft under the termination provisions of this Agreement, or a threat by Lyft to terminate a Driver’s Agreement; or (D) arise out of, or relate to, Fares (as defined in this Agreement, including Lyft’s commission on the Fares), tips, or average hourly guarantees owed by Lyft to Drivers for Services, other than disputes relating to referral bonuses, other Lyft promotions, or consumer-type disputes (the subset of Claims in subsections (A)-(D) shall be collectively referred to as “Driver Claims”), Lyft shall pay all costs unique to arbitration (as compared to the costs of adjudicating the same claims before a court), including the regular and customary arbitration fees and expenses (to the extent not paid by Lyft pursuant to the fee provisions above). However, if you are the party initiating the Driver Claim, you shall be responsible for contributing up to an amount equal to the filing fee that would be paid to initiate the claim in the court of general jurisdiction in the state in which you provide Services to Riders, unless a lower fee amount would be owed by you pursuant to the AAA Rules, applicable law, or subsection (e)(1) above. Any dispute as to whether a cost is unique to arbitration shall be resolved by the arbitrator.
- Except as provided in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 68 or any state equivalents, each party shall pay its own attorneys’ fees and pay any costs that are not unique to the arbitration (i.e., costs that each party would incur if the claim(s) were litigated in a court such as costs to subpoena witnesses and/or documents, take depositions and purchase deposition transcripts, copy documents, etc.).
- At the end of any arbitration, the arbitrator may award reasonable fees and costs or any portion thereof to you if you prevail, to the extent authorized by applicable law.
- Although under some laws Lyft may have a right to an award of attorneys' fees and non-filing fee expenses if it prevails in an arbitration, Lyft agrees that it will not seek such an award.
- If the arbitrator issues you an award that is greater than the value of Lyft’s last written settlement offer made after you participated in good faith in the optional Negotiation process described in subsection (k) below, then Lyft will pay you the amount of the award or U.S. $1,000, whichever is greater.
(e) Location and Manner of Arbitration.
Unless you and Lyft agree otherwise, any arbitration hearings between Lyft and a Rider will take place in the nearest municipality of your billing address, or, where appropriate arbitration facilities for the conduct of an AAA arbitration are not available in the municipality of your billing address, in the nearest municipality to your billing address in which such facilities are available, and any arbitration hearings between Lyft and a Driver will take place in the municipality in which the Driver provides Services or, where appropriate arbitration facilities for the conduct of an AAA arbitration are not available in the municipality in which the Driver provides Services, in the nearest municipality in which such facilities are available. If your Claim is for Can$10,000 or less, Lyft agrees that you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator, through a telephonic hearing, or by an in-person hearing as determined by the applicable AAA Rules. If your Claim exceeds Can$10,000, the right to a hearing will be determined by the applicable AAA Rules.
In the event that any portion of this Arbitration Agreement is deemed illegal or unenforceable, such provision shall be severed and the remainder of the Arbitration Agreement shall be given full force and effect.
(g) Opting Out of Arbitration.
You may opt out of the requirement to arbitrate pursuant to the terms of this subsection. If you do not wish to be subject to this Arbitration Agreement, you may opt out of arbitration by notifying Lyft in writing of your desire to opt out of arbitration, which writing must be dated, signed and delivered by: (1) electronic mail to CNarbitrationoptout@lyft.com, or (2) by certified mail, postage prepaid and return receipt requested, or by any nationally recognized delivery service that is addressed to:
Lyft Canada Inc. ℅ General Counsel 595 Burrard Street P.O. Box 49314 Suite 2600, Three Bentall Centre Vancouver BC V7X 1L3 Canada
In order to be effective, (A) the writing must clearly indicate your intent to opt out of this Arbitration Agreement, (B) the writing must include the name, phone number, and email address associated with your User Account, and (C) the email or envelope containing the signed writing must be sent within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by you. Should you not opt out within the 30-day period, you and Lyft shall be bound by the terms of this Arbitration Agreement in full, to the extent allowable by law. You should assume that in the future there may be lawsuits against Lyft alleging class, collective, and/or representative Claims, in which the plaintiffs seek to act on your behalf, and which, if successful, could result in some monetary recovery to you. But if you do agree to arbitration with Lyft under this Arbitration Agreement, you are agreeing in advance that you will bring all such claims, and seek all monetary and other relief, against Lyft in an individual arbitration provision. You are also agreeing in advance that you will not participate in, or seek to recover monetary or other relief for such claims in any court action or class, collective, and/or representative action. You have the right to consult with counsel of your choice concerning this Arbitration Agreement and you will not be subject to retaliation if you exercise your right to assert claims or opt-out of this Arbitration Agreement.
(h) Optional Pre-Arbitration Negotiation Process.
Before initiating any arbitration or proceeding, you and Lyft may agree to first attempt to negotiate any dispute, claim or controversy between the parties informally for 30 days, unless this time period is mutually extended by you and Lyft. A party who intends to seek negotiation under this subsection must first send to the other a written notice of the dispute (“Notice”). The Notice must (1) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (2) set forth the specific relief sought. All offers, promises, conduct and statements, whether oral or written, made in the course of the negotiation by any of the parties, their agents, employees, and lawyers are confidential, privileged and inadmissible for any purpose, including as evidence of liability or for impeachment, in arbitration or other proceeding involving the parties, provided that evidence that is otherwise admissible or discoverable shall not be rendered inadmissible or non-discoverable as a result of its use in the negotiation.
You agree not to use any technical, financial, strategic and other proprietary and confidential information relating to Lyft’s business, operations and properties, including User information (“Confidential Information”) disclosed to you by the Lyft Entities for your own use or for any purpose other than as contemplated herein. You shall not disclose or permit disclosure of any Confidential Information to third parties. You agree to take all reasonable measures to protect the secrecy of and avoid disclosure or use of Confidential Information of the Lyft Entities in order to prevent it from falling into the public domain. Notwithstanding the above, you shall not have liability to Lyft with regard to any Confidential Information which you can prove: was in the public domain at the time it was disclosed by Lyft or has entered the public domain through no fault of yours; was known to you, without restriction, at the time of disclosure, as demonstrated by files in existence at the time of disclosure; is disclosed with the prior written approval of Lyft; becomes known to you, without restriction, from a source other than Lyft without breach of this Agreement by you and otherwise not in violation of Lyft’s rights; or is disclosed pursuant to the order or requirement of a court, administrative agency, or other governmental body; provided, however, that You shall provide prompt notice of such court order or requirement to Lyft to enable the Lyft Entities to seek a protective order or otherwise prevent or restrict such disclosure.
Relationship with Lyft
As a Driver on the Lyft Platform, you acknowledge and agree that you and Lyft are in a direct business relationship, and the relationship between the parties under this Agreement is solely that of independent contracting parties, and that you shall at all times act as an independent contractor only. You and Lyft expressly agree that (1) this is not an employment agreement, (2) nothing in this Agreement or your interactions with Lyft creates an employment or dependent contractor relationship between you and Lyft; and (3) no joint venture, franchisor-franchisee, partnership, or agency relationship is intended or created by this Agreement. You have no authority to bind Lyft, and you undertake not to at any time hold yourself out as an employee, partner, agent or authorized representative of Lyft.
You agree that your authority shall be limited to as set out herein and you shall not make, and have no right or authority to make or enter into any contracts or agreements whatsoever for or on behalf of Lyft. Lyft does not, and shall not be deemed to, direct or control you generally or in your performance under this Agreement specifically, including in connection with your provision of Services, your acts or omissions, or your operation and maintenance of your vehicle. You retain the sole right to determine when, where, and for how long you will utilize the Lyft Platform. You retain the option to accept or to decline or ignore a Rider’s request for Services via the Lyft Platform, or to cancel an accepted request for Services via the Lyft Platform, subject to Lyft’s then-current cancellation policies. With the exception of any signage required by law or permit/license rules or requirements, Lyft shall have no right to require you to: (a) display Lyft’s names, logos or colors on your vehicle(s); or (b) wear a uniform or any other clothing displaying Lyft’s names, logos or colors. You acknowledge and agree that you have complete discretion to provide Services or otherwise engage in other business or employment activities.
In addition to connecting Riders with Drivers, the Lyft Platform may enable Users to provide or receive goods or services from other third parties. For example, Users may be able to use the Lyft Platform to order a delivery of goods, purchase a digital item, request a carpool ride from a commuter going in your direction, or when travelling outside of your country, to connect with local transportation platforms and request rides from local drivers (collectively, the “Other Services”). You understand that the Other Services are subject to the terms and pricing of the third-party provider. If you choose to purchase Other Services through the Lyft Platform, you authorize Lyft to charge your payment method on file according to the pricing terms set by the third-party provider. You agree that Lyft is not responsible and may not be held liable for the Other Services or the actions or omissions of the third- party provider. Such Other Services may not be investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness by us, and we are not responsible for any Other Services accessed through the Lyft Platform.
Except as provided in Section 17, this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Ontario. If any provision of this Agreement is or becomes invalid or non-binding, the parties shall remain bound by all other provisions of this Agreement. In that event, the parties shall replace the invalid or non- binding provision with provisions that are valid and binding and that have, to the greatest extent possible, a similar effect as the invalid or non-binding provision, given the contents and purpose of this Agreement. You agree that this Agreement and all incorporated agreements may be automatically assigned by Lyft, in our sole discretion without notice to you, except as required by applicable laws. Except as explicitly stated otherwise, any notices to Lyft shall be given by certified mail, postage prepaid and return receipt requested to Lyft Canada Inc., 595 Burrard Street, P.O. Box 49314, Suite 2600, Three Bentall Centre, Vancouver BC V7X 1L3, Canada. Any notices to you shall be provided to you through the Lyft Platform or given to you via the email address or physical address you provide to Lyft during the registration process. Headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. The words “include”, “includes” and “including” are deemed to be followed by the words “without limitation”. A party’s failure to act with respect to a breach by the other party does not constitute a waiver of the party’s right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches. This Agreement sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between you and Lyft with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all previous understandings and agreements between the parties, whether oral or written. The place of this Agreement is Toronto, Ontario.
The parties have expressly requested that this Agreement and all documents, including notices, related to this Agreement be drafted in the English language. Les parties aux présentes ont expressément exigé que la présente convention, ainsi que tous documents, y compris avis, connexes soient rédigés en anglais.
If you have any questions regarding the Lyft Platform or Services, please contact our Customer Support Team through our Help Center.
The Scope of This Policy
This policy applies to all Lyft users, including Riders and Drivers (including Driver applicants), and to all Lyft platforms and services, including our apps, websites, features, and other services (collectively, the “Lyft Platform”). Please remember that your use of the Lyft Platform is also subject to our Terms of Service.
The Information We Collect
When you use the Lyft Platform, we collect the information you provide, usage information, and information about your device. We also collect information about you from other sources like third party services, and optional programs in which you participate, which we may combine with other information we have about you. Here are the types of information we collect about you:
A. Information You Provide to Us
Account Registration. When you create an account with Lyft, we collect the information you provide us, such as your name, email address, phone number, birth date, and payment information. You may choose to share additional info with us for your Rider profile, like your photo or saved addresses (e.g., home or work), and set up other preferences (such as your preferred pronouns).
Driver Information. If you apply to be a Driver, we will collect the information you provide in your application, including your name, email address, phone number, birth date, profile photo, physical address, government identification number (such as social security number), driver’s license information, vehicle information, and car insurance information. We collect the payment information you provide us, including your bank routing numbers, and tax information. Depending on where you want to drive, we may also ask for additional business license or permit information. We may need additional information from you at some point after you become a Driver, including information to confirm your identity (like a photo).
Ratings and Feedback. When you rate and provide feedback about Riders or Drivers, we collect all of the information you provide in your feedback.
Communications. When you contact us or we contact you, we collect any information that you provide, including the contents of the messages or attachments you send us.
B. Information We Collect When You Use the Lyft Platform
Location Information. Great rides start with an easy and accurate pickup. The Lyft Platform collects location information (including GPS and WiFi data) differently depending on your Lyft app settings and device permissions as well as whether you are using the platform as a Rider or Driver:
- Riders: We collect your device’s precise location when you open and use the Lyft app, including while the app is running in the background from the time you request a ride until it ends. Lyft also tracks the precise location of scooters and e-bikes at all times.
- Drivers: We collect your device’s precise location when you open and use the app, including while the app is running in the background when it is in driver mode. We also collect precise location for a limited time after you exit driver mode in order to detect ride incidents, and continue collecting it until a reported or detected incident is no longer active.
Usage Information. We collect information about your use of the Lyft Platform, including ride information like the date, time, destination, distance, route, payment, and whether you used a promotional or referral code. We also collect information about your interactions with the Lyft Platform like our apps and websites, including the pages and content you view and the dates and times of your use.
Device Information. We collect information about the devices you use to access the Lyft Platform, including device model, IP address, type of browser, version of operating system, identity of carrier and manufacturer, radio type (such as 4G), preferences and settings (such as preferred language), application installations, device identifiers, advertising identifiers, and push notification tokens. If you are a Driver, we also collect mobile sensor data from your device (such as speed, direction, height, acceleration, deceleration, and other technical data).
Communications Between Riders and Drivers. We work with a third party to facilitate phone calls and text messages between Riders and Drivers without sharing either party’s actual phone number with the other. But while we use a third party to provide the communication service, we collect information about these communications, including the participants’ phone numbers, the date and time, and the contents of SMS messages. For security purposes, we may also monitor or record the contents of phone calls made through the Lyft Platform, but we will always let you know we are about to do so before the call begins.
Address Book Contacts. You may set your device permissions to grant Lyft access to your contact lists and direct Lyft to access your contact list, for example to help you refer friends to Lyft. If you do this, we will access and store the names and contact information of the people in your address book.
Cookies, Analytics, and Third Party Technologies. We collect information through the use of “cookies”, tracking pixels, data analytics tools like Google Analytics, SDKs, and other third party technologies to understand how you navigate through the Lyft Platform and interact with Lyft advertisements, to make your Lyft experience safer, to learn what content is popular, to improve your site experience, to serve you better ads on other sites, and to save your preferences. Cookies are small text files that web servers place on your device; they are designed to store basic information and to help websites and apps recognize your browser. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be accessed every time you use the Lyft Platform. You should consult your web browser(s) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from us, you may miss out on certain features of the Lyft Platform.
C. Information We Collect from Third Parties
Third Party Services. Third party services provide us with information needed for core aspects of the Lyft Platform, as well as for additional services, programs, loyalty benefits, and promotions that can enhance your Lyft experience. These third party services include background check providers, insurance partners, financial service providers, marketing providers, and other businesses. We obtain the following information about you from these third party services:
- Information to make the Lyft Platform safer, like background check information for drivers;
- Information about your participation in third party programs that provide things like insurance coverage and financial instruments, such as insurance, payment, transaction, and fraud detection information;
- Information to operationalize loyalty and promotional programs, such as information about your use of such programs; and
- Information about you provided by specific services, such as demographic and market segment information.
Enterprise Programs. If you use Lyft through your employer or other organization that participates in one of our Lyft Business enterprise programs, we will collect information about you from those parties, such as your name and contact information.
Concierge Service. Sometimes another business or entity may order you a Lyft ride. If an organization has ordered a ride for you using our Concierge service, they will provide us your contact information and the pickup and drop-off location of your ride.
Referral Programs. Friends help friends use the Lyft Platform. If someone refers you to Lyft, we will collect information about you from that referral including your name and contact information.
Other Users and Sources. Other users or public or third-party sources such as law enforcement, insurers, media, or pedestrians may provide us information about you, for example as part of an investigation into an incident or to provide you support.
How We Use Your Information
We use your personal information to:
- Provide the Lyft Platform;
- Maintain the security and safety of the Lyft Platform and its users;
- Build and maintain the Lyft community;
- Provide customer support;
- Improve the Lyft Platform; and
- Respond to legal proceedings and obligations.
Providing the Lyft Platform. We use your personal information to provide an intuitive, useful, efficient, and worthwhile experience on our platform. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Verify your identity and maintain your account, settings, and preferences;
- Connect you to your rides and track their progress;
- Calculate prices and process payments;
- Allow Riders and Drivers to connect regarding their ride and to choose to share their location with others;
- Communicate with you about your rides and experience;
- Collect feedback regarding your experience;
- Facilitate additional services and programs with third parties; and
- Operate contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions.
Maintaining the Security and Safety of the Lyft Platform and its Users. Providing you a secure and safe experience drives our platform, both on the road and on our apps. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Authenticate users;
- Verify that Drivers and their vehicles meet safety requirements;
- Investigate and resolve incidents, accidents, and insurance claims;
- Encourage safe driving behavior and avoid unsafe activities;
- Find and prevent fraud; and
- Block and remove unsafe or fraudulent users from the Lyft Platform.
Building and Maintaining the Lyft Community. Lyft works to be a positive part of the community. We use your personal information to:
- Communicate with you about events, promotions, elections, and campaigns;
- Personalize and provide content, experiences, communications, and advertising to promote and grow the Lyft Platform; and
- Help facilitate donations you choose to make through the Lyft Platform.
Providing Customer Support. We work hard to provide the best experience possible, including supporting you when you need it. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Investigate and assist you in resolving questions or issues you have regarding the Lyft Platform; and
- Provide you support or respond to you.
Improving the Lyft Platform. We are always working to improve your experience and provide you with new and helpful features. To do this, we use your personal information to:
- Perform research, testing, and analysis;
- Develop new products, features, partnerships, and services;
- Prevent, find, and resolve software or hardware bugs and issues; and
- Monitor and improve our operations and processes, including security practices, algorithms, and other modeling.
Responding to Legal Proceedings and Requirements. Sometimes the law, government entities, or other regulatory bodies impose demands and obligations on us with respect to the services we seek to provide. In such a circumstance, we may use your personal information to respond to those demands or obligations.
How We Store and Protect Your Information
We retain your information for as long as necessary to provide you and our other users the Lyft Platform. This means we keep your profile information for as long as you maintain an account. We retain transactional information such as rides and payments for at least seven years to ensure we can perform legitimate business functions, such as accounting for tax obligations. If you request account deletion, we will delete your information as set forth in the “Deleting Your Account” section below.
We take reasonable and appropriate measures designed to protect your personal information. But no security measures can be 100% effective, and we cannot guarantee the security of your information, including against unauthorized intrusions or acts by third parties.
Your Rights And Choices Regarding Your Data
As explained more below and on our privacy homepage, Lyft provides ways for you to access and delete your personal information as well as exercise other data rights that give you certain control over your personal information.
A. All Users
Email Subscriptions. You can always unsubscribe from our commercial or promotional emails by clicking unsubscribe in those messages. We will still send you transactional and relational emails about your use of the Lyft Platform.
Text Messages. You can opt out of receiving commercial or promotional text messages by texting the word END to 46080 from the mobile device receiving the messages. You may also opt out of receiving all texts from Lyft (including transactional or relational messages) by texting the word STOPALL to 46080 from the mobile device receiving the messages. Note that opting out of receiving all texts may impact your use of the Lyft Platform. Drivers can also opt out of driver-specific messages by texting STOP in response to a driver SMS. To re-enable texts you can text START in response to an unsubscribe confirmation SMS.
Push Notifications. You can opt out of receiving push notifications through your device settings. Please note that opting out of receiving push notifications may impact your use of the Lyft Platform (such as receiving a notification that your ride has arrived).
Profile Information. You can review and edit certain account information you have chosen to add to your profile by logging in to your account settings and profile.
Location Information. You can prevent your device from sharing location information through your device’s system settings. But if you do, this may impact Lyft’s ability to provide you our full range of features and services.
Cookie Tracking. You can modify your cookie settings on your browser, but if you delete or choose not to accept our cookies, you may be missing out on certain features of the Lyft Platform.
Do Not Track. Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services that you do not want them to track your online activities. The Lyft Platform does not currently support Do Not Track requests at this time.
Deleting Your Account. If you would like to delete your Lyft account, please visit our privacy homepage. In some cases, we will be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an issue with your account related to trust, safety, or fraud. When we delete your account, we may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or to comply with legal or regulatory obligations. For example, we may retain your information to resolve open insurance claims, or we may be obligated to retain your information as part of an open legal claim. When we retain such data, we do so in ways designed to prevent its use for other purposes.
B. California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act provides some California residents with the additional rights listed below. To exercise these rights see the “Exercising Your California Privacy Rights” section or visit our privacy homepage.
Right to Know. You have the right to know and see what data we have collected about you over the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you (and direct our service providers to do the same). There are a number of exceptions, however, that include, but are not limited to, when the information is necessary for us or a third party to do any of the following:
- Complete your transaction;
- Provide you a good or service;
- Perform a contract between us and you;
- Protect your security and prosecute those responsible for breaching it;
- Fix our system in the case of a bug;
- Protect the free speech rights of you or other users;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et seq.);
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interests that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws;
- Comply with a legal obligation; or
- Make other internal and lawful uses of the information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Other Rights. You can request certain information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. This request is free and may be made once a year. You also have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above.
Exercising Your California Privacy Rights. To request access to or deletion of your personal information, or to exercise any other data rights under California law, please contact us using one of the following methods:
Website: You may visit our privacy homepage to authenticate and exercise rights via our website.
Email Webform: You may write to us to exercise rights. Please include your full name, email address, and phone number associated with your use of the Lyft Platform, along with why you are writing, so that we can process your request in an efficient manner.
To respond to some rights we will need to verify your request either by asking you to log in and authenticate your account or otherwise verify your identity by providing information about yourself or your account. Authorized agents can make a request on your behalf if you have given them legal power of attorney or you provide signed permission, verification of your identity, and confirmation that you provided the agent permission to submit the request.
Response Timing and Format. We aim to respond to a consumer request for access or deletion within 45 days of receiving that request. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
Lyft is not directed to children, and we don’t knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we find out that a child under 13 has given us personal information, we will take steps to delete that information. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 has given us personal information, please contact us at our Help Center.
We may update this policy from time to time as the Lyft Platform changes and privacy law evolves. If we update it, we will do so online, and if we make material changes, we will let you know through the Lyft Platform or by some other method of communication like email. When you use Lyft, you are agreeing to the most recent terms of this policy.
If you have any questions or concerns about your privacy or anything in this policy, including if you need to access this policy in an alternative format, we encourage you to contact us.