We go the extra mile for safety.
At Lyft, safety is our top priority. From background checks to our first-of-its-kind $1,000,000 liability insurance, we go above and beyond to create a more safe community. Learn more about our safety measures below:
DMV record checks
Every driver who applies to become a part of the community is screened for criminal offenses and driving incidents. The criminal background check includes national, county level and national sex offender databases.
Driving record check
- Age 23 or older with US driver’s license for one or more years
- Valid personal auto insurance that meets or exceeds state requirements
- No more than two moving violations in the past three years (accidents, traffic light violations)
- No major violations in the past three years (driving on suspended license, speeding 21+ MPH over the limit, etc.)
- No DUI or other drug-related driving violations or severe infractions in the past seven years (driving faster than 100 MPH) and no more than one severe infraction on your lifetime driving history
- No extreme infractions on your lifetime driving history (hit-and-run, felonies involving a vehicle)
- History of reckless driving not falling into one of the above categories, will also disqualify a potential driver
- No violent crimes
- No sexual offenses
- No theft
- No property damage
- No felonies
Our first-of-its-kind insurance solution provides our drivers with additional coverages, giving both drivers and passengers ultimate peace of mind. Our coverages include:
- Excess Liability: $1,000,000 limit covering passengers and/or third parties
- Contingent Collision: $2,500 deductible and $50,000 maximum applicable to drivers who have purchased collision coverage on their personal policy
- Excess Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM): $1,000,000 limit covering drivers if they are hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist who's at fault
Cars must be model year 2000 or newer and each must pass our vehicle safety inspection before a driver hits the road.
It’s all about community
Passengers and drivers rate each other after every ride. If you rate a driver below 4 stars, you’ll never be matched with that driver again. If a driver's average falls below 4½ out of 5 stars, they are removed from the Lyft community. It's our way of maintaining high-quality standards.